মো. জাকারিয়া আলম ১২ জানুয়ারি ২০১৯, ০০:০০ | প্রিন্ট সংস্করণ
ঢাকা রেসিডেন্সিয়াল মডেল কলেজ, ঢাকা
6. A lion was drinking water from a brook. (a) - a lamb was also drinking water from the downstream of the same brook. The lion swa the lamb and decided to devour it. (b) - he was thinking about hwo to accomplish his evil design. (c) - he hit upon a plan. (d) - the lion complained that the lamb was disturbing him by muddying water. But the lamb said that he was drinking water from downstream. (e) - the questions of muddying water on his part did not arise. (f) - the lamb argued that it was the lion that was muddying the water for him as he was drinking water upstream. (g) - the lion retorted that the lamb spoke oil of him a year ago. (h) - the lamb said that he was not born a year ago. The lion grwe into a rage. (i) - he said that perhaps his father spokes ill of him last year. (j) - the lion had the right to take revenge and kill the lamb.
Answers : (a) as; (b) so; (c) that; (d) while; (e) in fact; (f) if; (g) which; (h) who; (i) and; (j) therefore/so
7. There have been significant changes in the types of entertainment over time. Maû of these no longer exist. (a) - they do, people keep looking for newer forms of entertainment. (b) - snake charming, puppet shows, jatra, jarigan, sharigan and kabigan which were common forms of entertainment in the past, have almost lost of their appeal. (c) -, radio used to be a good source of entertainment. (d) - it is giving place to television and to satellite channels in particular. (e) -, the entertainment business, like other spheres of life, is getting westernized. (f) -, folk music or palligeeti is nwo sung with western instruments. (g) -, modern music is nwo fusing melodies from folk and traditional songs. (h) -, band and pop music is becoming more and more popular particularly among the young generation. (i) - sport has become a great source of entertainment today. (j) - football, which used to be the most popular spectator sport in Bangladesh is gradually being replaced by cricket.
Answers: (a) in fact; (b) by doing so; (c) certainly ; (d) and; (e) eventually; (f) at present; (g) but; (h) sorrowfully; (i) as such; (j) so/ therefore
8. A thing of beauty is a joy forever. (a) - a flower is a symbol of beauty and purity. Its sweet smell attracts one to all. (b) - flower cultivation was very rare in our country. (c) - the scenario has changed. (d) - many people cultivate flowers not only for enjoying their beauty but also for earning money. (e) - in big cities and towns many flower shops have flourished. Different kinds of flowers are sold there. (f) - the demand of flowers is increasing day by day. (g) - they are of great use to us. (h) - we keep flowers in flower vase to beautify our drawing room. (i) - during marriage ceremony we decorate gate and vehicle with flowers. Thirdly, we express our love and affection towards anyone with flowers. (j) - the use of flowers is very great.
Answers: (a) likewise; (b) in the past; (c) at present; (d) now; (e) recently; (f) as a result; (g) truly speaking; (h) firstly; (i) secondly; (j) so/hence
9. Food adulteration is a social problem. There is hardly any food that is not adulterated. (a) -, a business syndicate is involved in this. (b) -, they are bringing national health to the edge of death. (c) -, people taking adulterated food will become gradually sick. (d) -, they will suffer from maû complicated diseases. (e) -, they will die. (f) -, food adulteration has reached in an alarming state in our country. (g) -, the authority concerned is playing a silent role. (h) -, laws regarding this crime are not so strict. (i) -, this crime is going to be out of control. (j) -, steps must be taken against this heinous crime to save our life.
Answers: (a) even if; (b) thus; (c) once; (d) but now; (e) at present; (f) consequently; (g) moreover; (h) nowadays; (i) besides/also; (j) but
10. Happiness lies in the mind of a man (a) - beauty lies in the eyes of a beholder. (b) - we can say (c) - happiness comprises a state of mind. A poor man can be happy with one lakh taka (d) - it has no importance for a millionaire. (e) -, the source of happiness lies in us. (f) - we do good work (g) - gives happiness to others, our own happiness also increases by leaps and bounds. One way of doing this is to find out and go out to those (h) - may be in need of our help. The highest form of happiness is derived when we help others (i) - make them happy. (j) - in every religion, great importance is put on the service of mankind.Answers: (a) incidentally; (b) so; (c) then; (d) at first; (e) so; (f) instead; (g) then; (h) again; (i) therefore; (j) so
ভারপ্রাপ্ত সম্পাদক : সাইফুল আলম, প্রকাশক : সালমা ইসলাম
প্রকাশক কর্তৃক ক-২৪৪ প্রগতি সরণি, কুড়িল (বিশ্বরোড), বারিধারা, ঢাকা-১২২৯ থেকে প্রকাশিত এবং যমুনা প্রিন্টিং এন্ড পাবলিশিং লিঃ থেকে মুদ্রিত।
পিএবিএক্স : ৯৮২৪০৫৪-৬১, রিপোর্টিং : ৯৮২৪০৭৩, বিজ্ঞাপন : ৯৮২৪০৬২, ফ্যাক্স : ৯৮২৪০৬৩, সার্কুলেশন : ৯৮২৪০৭২। ফ্যাক্স : ৯৮২৪০৬৬
E-mail: [email protected]
© সর্বস্বত্ব স্বত্বাধিকার সংরক্ষিত ২০০০-২০১৯